dark chocolate is a form of chocolate which contains cocoa solids, cocoa butter and some amount of sugar without milk. This chocolate also called as black chocolate, plain chocolate or sour chocolate. Some dark chocolate brands are Hershey’s special dark, Lindt excellence 99% cocoa, Cadbury Bournville, Mason & Co. Intense dark chocolate, Amul dark chocolate, Kit Kat dark, Godiva dark chocolate, etc.
46% of carbohydrates, 43% of fat, 8% of protein,1% of water content are present. This chocolate also contains minerals such as 92% of Iron, 75 of Calcium, 64% of Magnesium, 44% of Phosphorus,35% of Zinc, 29%of Vitamin B6, 15% of Potassium,1% Sodium in it. Dark chocolate is made up of 70-100% of cocoa solids. Approximately around 25 milligrams of Caffeine found in it.
Benefits of eating Dark chocolate
- It contains some compounds which possess antioxidant properties such as flavanols and polyphenols.
- Antioxidant neutralizes free radicals and prevents oxidative stress in the body.
- The antioxidants present in the dark chocolate protect the skin from radical damage and keeps the skin soft, supple and Juvenile for a long time.
- Eating dark chocolate regularly may reduce the developing of heart disease; because flavonoids in dark chocolate stimulate nitric oxide production in the body which results in the regulating of the blood flow and blood pressure.
- Polyphenols and theobromine in the dark chocolate lower the levels of LDL(low-density lipoprotein) and And increases the level of HDL (high-density lipoprotein). lDL is considered as bad cholesterol and HDL is considered as good cholesterol.
- Dark chocolate also contains the compounds with anti-inflammatory properties which helps to reduce inflammation in the body.
- Dark chocolate also lowers the fasting Glucose/blood sugar level and reduce insulin resistance.
- it improves the brain function and helps to prevent neurodegenerative conditions such as Parkinson’s disease Alzheimer’s disease.
- Dark chocolate can protect against sun damage and improve the blood flow to the skin which increases the skin density and hydration.
- Epicatechin and Quercetin are believed to be responsible for cancer-fighting properties, and dark chocolate contains this. Hence it may prevent cancer.
- Dark chocolate reduces the craving for sweet, salt and fatty foods.
- It contains monounsaturated fatty acids which boost metabolism and burning of fat which promotes weight loss.
- It also contains two saturated fatty acids called Palmitic and Stearic acid which boosts the mood and makes happy. And also stimulate the neural activity in the regions of brain-related pleasure and reward.
- Dark chocolate stimulates and opens production which gives feeling pleasure and it contains which acts as an antidepressant.
- Flavonoids penetrate and accumulate in the brain regions involved in learning and memory, i.e especially the hippocampus region and increase the concentration level.
- It increases the memory, focus, mood, sleep and resilience to stress.
- Improves the blood flow to the brain and prevents the damaging of brain cells.
- Antioxidants found in dark chocolate reduce the risk of dementia.
- Dark chocolate increases the beneficial bacteria in the intestine and supports good gut bacteria.
- Magnesium present in the dark chocolate reduces the stress by suppressing the release of a stress hormone called Cortisol.
- Magnesium acts as a muscle relaxant and soothes aching, cramping muscles and lower back pain.
- Dark chocolate also reduces the pain and boosts the mood during the menstrual cycle and PMS ( Premenstrual Syndrome)
- Dark chocolate can reduces muscle cramps during menstruation.
- During menstruation female lose iron content; Dark chocolate is rich in iron content and Eating dark chocolate help to recover iron content in the body.
Side effects eating Dark chocolate
Having the habit of eating dark chocolate daily and in a limited manner, it improves the health state of the body. But excessive eating of this may show some side effects. They are as follows:-
- Too much eating of dark chocolate may show immediate unpleasant symptoms such as indigestion, headache, and heartburn.
- Dark chocolate contains some ingredients that can trigger allergic reactions.
- Excessive eating of dark chocolate may increase the chances of having kidney stones because dark chocolate increases the urinary oxalate erection which can increase the risk of forming kidney stones.
- A natural chemical called tyramine present in chocolate and it may trigger the migraine headache.